Old 01-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
TerryW
Human being with feelings

Default Different language

Maybe a good idea would be to make Reaper in different languages, or use seperate language-files you can load and edit.
There are many users from other countrys that would help to create files in her own language.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
sebas777

+1 (I'm ready to help)!
Polish version ;-)

Last edited by sebas777; 01-16-2007 at 01:23 PM.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

yes. not that important, but i think a collective effort could make the thing work. Reaper is so configurable that i think i would understand things i had never seen !
(on the other hand, when Acid was translated into french, i was so used to english that i got lost)...
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
TerryW

There are many firsttime users in this daw world that not understand technical terms, and many that not read English.
I know some older users from Germany that don't speak English well, so a German Reaper version could help them.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
doclike

I could help translating.

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryW View Post
There are many firsttime users in this daw world that not understand technical terms, and many that not read English.
I know some older users from Germany that don't speak English well, so a German Reaper version could help them.
Well I thought about making a german manual... (Just translate Malcolm's )
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
haggan

Default Multilanguage

Though i am not a newbie with DAWs, i also don´t undertand some tec-english as i mentioned in another thread. I hope, soon after V 2 it may be added.
Doclike, are you Docewil? Good to cu here too!
haggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 AM   #8
Bastiaan M

I would love to help translating into Dutch.
Bastiaan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
Alsion

+1 here!

Maybe I could help for a german version.
Alsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
ac242

i'm up for an italian translation
ac242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 AM   #11
Alsion

Any news on this?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #12
Alsion

Really no news?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #13
Xaake

OT: Warning

I am very divided on the translation topic when it comes to computer. I do understand that some older people don´t understand English and that it would leave them out to not have a translation. On the other hand I would like to see English becoming a world language that everyone understands, by forcing people to use English programs on computers it would help.

The best way to make people in a country understand a foreign language is to expose them to it as much as possible, that is why swedes in general speak good English (we don't dub any movies or tv-series, we just subtitle them, when you are exposed that way, you learn the language the same way as you learn your native language).

That is why I am angered when we in Europe has to wait for stuff (especially video games) just because it has to be translated to French and German first (that often take like half a year) and it has to be released in the whole of Europe at the same time.

That is also the reason that when I help people install their computers I always install the English versions of programs, and not the Swedish version. That is also the reason that when I have people over for a movie, I always disable the subtitles!

A fun incident in Sweden was when the computer game Black & White was released. Sierra had actually translated the game to Swedish, and a lot of people felt cheated, so Sierra had to allow people to send in their Swedish versions and get an English version instead free of charge!

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!

Last edited by Xaake; 03-05-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Xaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #14
drew
Mobile

Well I would love to see everybody using REAPER around the world.. but forcing them to do it in English would certainly make that less likely to happen!!

However there is a lot to be said for having one set of terminology, menu option titles and even error message texts that are the same for everyone. Here in Brasil many people who don't speak any English are used to products with foreign words on the buttons - you just learn what to press.

The key would be a local instruction manual (with a promise from the translator to stick to a literal translation and not put their own personality and interpretations into the text otherwise you could really confuse the issue!) and a glossary of terms like menu options so the app always looks the same, but there is some help with the terms available.

REAPER being so highly customisable already leads to complications describing problems or giving help ("the red button", "ctrl-P", "move the mousewheel up" etc are not the same for everyone depending on colour scheme & keyboard mappings) and non-English users would suffer this to the extreme if they couldn't access all the support available here because they didn't know or ever see the original names for terms.

I'd happily do a Portuguese translation for the huge Brasilian market (who are expected to pay twice US prices in shops for Cubase & Sonar because of high import charges) but if all the menu options were different from the original then it wouldn't be helpful.

Here's my proposal for this. You could have an optional second language in brackets for menu items, error messages etc - so it would look like...

Copy [copiar]
Paste [colar]
Undo [desfazer]

It could be read in from a simple INI-type file saying....
Copy=copiar
Paste=colar
Undo=desfazer

So at startup that text is simply annexed to any menu item or stored dialog text mentioned and you could just keep a bank of different language files available on the Cockos site.

That way nobody is left out in the cold when it comes to using REAPER - and in some ways translating to another language and not showing the original names too is doing exactly that!

Last edited by drew; 03-05-2007 at 06:09 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #15
lemon

*push*

I think this feature is still requested by many users.
Could help with german or italian.

Lemon
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #16
jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
+1 (I'm ready to help)!
Polish version ;-)
I can help with PL version too! :-D
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
Till

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaake View Post
we don't dub any movies or tv-series, we just subtitle them
you guys are so lucky... the only subtitled tv shows in germany are jackass and pimp my ride.

"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." - Bob Brozman

My Jesusonic FX - Xenakios' Extension

REAPER FR Tracker - what is that?

The "How Stuff works in REAPER": video blog
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 AM   #18
boka

in my opinion,It's good idea for 0day users at audio production; but those who have worked with lots of softwares before that are in English, it might be confusing. Most of us whose primary language is not english, must have picked up that couple of hundred english words which are necessary in audio softwares...
boka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
drew
Mobile

I've had this same feeling in feedback from people.

I know many guys here in Brasil using Sonar or old Logic on PC in English - even if they don't speak it - and they are keen to try something new. They've all been interested in REAPER and might well find a glossary of REAPER-specific terms in English more helpful than an interpreted translation of every menu item term, dialog message and concept within the program.

Generally those who don't speak English seem quite happy to get to know "international terms" and many in a local language are only recent, derived versions of the original word which are easy to spot because often only the ending is changed!

In a way - if you are new to DAWs and the terms they use, it can be more helpful to just learn them in English from scratch.. since you didn't know the term in your own language anyway. Certainly here people say they don't like to feel excluded/marginalised.

But I'll agree if in-built non menu text like error messages and text in prefs is changed that could be helpful at the time. It's just that if you do speak English then when you have a technical issue and go to look up a problem within the forum, or on Google, you are going to be limited if you are searching for the localised message. I've seen Windows problem posts elsewhere where people are guessing at what the original term/error message might have been because they don't want to be limited to feedback just from those who have had the same problem in the same language version.

Schools and more patriotic establishments might, however, favour software in local language. Maybe the trick is to automatically keep the English term in parentheses within the translated menu option and dialogs? Just a thought.

I still think the extension of Terry's text file idea which I mentioned above might be the simplest way of getting it done by the REAPER community.

Last edited by drew; 10-04-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #20
lemon

Unfortunately I cannot read anything from any developer here in this thread. :-(

I can only repeat that a language option could be the killer feature for Reaper!

Greetings from Italy

Lemon
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #21
sebas777

Here in my country (Poland), most people use "natively English" interfaces, because

A) they look more pro, and un-M$
B) often it's even harder to understand the translation, than the original version (I like a lot the idea to use non-English words in brackets, or as baloon help).

On the other hand I often see some of my friends pressing buttons randomly in hope to learn what they actually do, because they don't have enough patience to translate the manuals on their own.

So the most important multi-language part is not the GUI itself, but the help file and the manual.

As Nicholas is going to release a printed (paid) version, I wonder if the translations shouldn't be available the same way (especially if it's a print-on-demand) ?
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #22
vadarfone

OK,

I think it is perhaps a little euro-centric to assume that everyone can speak english as well as you guys.

I live in Japan (which is a HUGE potential user base) and the general English ability here is very low.

I think it would be very good to have the application in alternative languages. This would open it up to more people than before and expand the user base massively.

For all the guys who demand the world speak English (bullys!), the users from countries with little or no exposure to English could use the program in their own languages and then gradually migrate to the English one as they learn.

If that is what they want, of course.

I think bulldozing over language cultures is a very very dangerous and negative ideal and must not be entertained.
vadarfone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #23
Till

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
B) often it's even harder to understand the translation, than the original version
yip, i'm a 100% percent with you on that. and that goes for any software. picture editing, video editing, programming - you just CAN'T translate a lot of the stuff.

"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." - Bob Brozman

My Jesusonic FX - Xenakios' Extension

REAPER FR Tracker - what is that?

The "How Stuff works in REAPER": video blog
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
Spyrow

Well, I understand some of you prefer english version than a translated version, as I do, but now I want my boss to use REAPER too, and he can't speak english so... it's going to be a bit difficult for him, he has always used spanish versions of PT, Logic, Cubase...
Besides, I think that getting the user manual translated is more important than the software, because if you have an explanation in your language about a feature, it doesn't matter if it's named A or B if you know what it does.
Any sight on translated user manuals?
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Bastiaan M

isnt it an idea to make it possible to translate everything ourselves. we would need Justin to help us by maing it possible to make some sort of language files. I've seen them with other programs. its something like a file you put in the reaper program folder with a name like for example: nederlands.lng

in that file would be something like:

[language] = Nederlands
[cut] = "knip"
[paste] = "plak"
[mixer] = "mengpaneel"
[input] = "ingang"
etc etc

That way Justin doesnt have to go through the trouble of translating everything. i guess something like the skinning will happen.
Bastiaan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #26
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiaan M View Post

in that file would be something like:

[language] = Nederlands
[cut] = "knip"
[paste] = "plak"
[mixer] = "mengpaneel"
[input] = "ingang"
etc etc

It may as well work this way quite fast. There are a few of us who could help create the hungarian.lng ;-)
Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #27
lemon

Aaaaaaan up with it!

I don't give up!

Please subscribe to the "translate Reaper" foundation ;-)

Lemon
Old 11-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
planetnine

Default +1

i'm up for joining in, i'll help translate into northern English

Nathan
planetnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #29
drew
Mobile

What did he say? I didn't catch a word of that
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
rohagymeg

I'm hungarian as well as Boka, but I think this is the feature that should NOT be implemented in RP. My reasons:

- Almost all users that use RP has used other commercial daws like Cubase before, so they have experience in using daws and in english

- I personally don't want Reaper to become a bloatware. A daw needs to be english only.

- There are tech words in english that can't be translated into some languages. If someone doesn't know what equalizer or track means, he should use audacity.

- For basic use(recording midi and audio track, using fx, vst, automation) there is really no need for translation. These are basic words that everyone knows who chose to produce music and if not, google helps finding it out....

- Tell me a vst plugin that has multi lang support. If a person doesn't know english at all, how will he be able to use the vst plugins?

Those who don't know english should use other daws that support ML.
Tell me if you agree or disagree and which part of my text.
rohagymeg is offline   Reply With Quote