Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
dln
Human being with feelings

Default Adjust fader w/mousewheel over VU meters

It'd be nice if rolling the mousewheel over the VU meters would adjust the volume fader, adding a larger target area for the mouse pointer.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Spon

If you have enough tracks that the mixer has a scrollbar, it does - in a perverse sort of way.

Rolling the mouse wheel over a VU meter will scroll the whole mixer sideways until a fader is under the mouse, then it will start changing that fader - ACK!!!

Are there people who want the mouse wheel to scroll these windows AND to change the faders? I'd prefer a switch in Options for one behavior or the other.

OR

some kind of highlight/color on any fader that is liable to be adjusted by mouse wheel. This way you could tell BEFORE turning the wheel what control will be changed.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
Till

only fader please. but mwheel-fading over the vu-meter is a good idea!
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till
mwheel-fading over the vu-meter is a good idea!
Some people think so.

Personally, I NEVER EVER want my mouse wheel to change ANY SETTINGS except scrolling and zooming. Currently I disable the mouse wheel completely in REAPER.

I most especially do not want changing controls by a mere mouse-over, without requiring me to approve the editing action, nor highlighting the control that is getting edited.

This is as damaging as a bad-pointer bug.

This is why I have requested, more than once, an either/or switch for the mousewheel - either edit controls OR scroll/zoom. And if the mouse is in one window, the wheel probably shouldn't change things in other windows either.

If I were implementing mouse-wheel mixing, I'd divide the mixer strips into zones - balance control and volume control. Nothing else on the strip needs a wheel. The TCP likewise, but more controls are possible. The various zones cover the entire mixer strip, so there are NO dead areas.

In this mode, I'd also show a selection (possibly rectangular, possibly a color highlight) over every zone as soon as one moused over it - like highlighted links in a web page. You would always know, visibly, before you touched the mouse button, what control it was going to change.

Even so, I'd rarely use the feature. But if it would go away, I'd use the mouse wheel for scrolling and zooming a lot more.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote