Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
Sonic Vampire
Human being with feelings

Default faderport midi fix

I temporarily fixed my problem after reading a posting on gear slutz from a guy who works for presonus, his posting is below which is what I followed so the first part may or may not have been relevent and the end is different to what I did but it got me to my problem of the device conflict, i then reconected some other gear (mouse, firewire soundcard)and it stopped again, now this wont fix it anymore

what fixed it was---
Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Default device MIDI music playback ... FaderPort was set as default device, this was causing reaper to not open midi ports

was quite excited when I thought I had it sorted, reading further down the thread I find a link to a registry fix

http://www.andrewmoyer.com/?p=10

well , thats next to try, let me know if you beat me to it

Hey all, this is J.B. from PreSonus' Technical Support Team.

If the FaderPort doesn't show up as 'USB Audio Device' under MIDI Music Playback in your Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, then try the following steps to re-enumerate the FaderPort.

1. Disconnect any other USB MIDI devices from your computer
2. Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > Sound, video & game controllers ... Right-click "USB Audio Device" and 'Uninstall' it
3. Disconnect the FaderPort from your computer
4. Reboot your computer
5. Reconnect the FaderPort to your computer
6. Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Default device MIDI music playback ... ensure the FaderPort shows up as a 'USB Audio Device'
7. Please call or e-mail PreSonus Technical Support at 800.750.0323 or techSupport@PreSonus.com

Last edited by Sonic Vampire; 12-28-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Sonic Vampire

Default Fixed, I think

was flicking between the 2 operating systems on my computer to check the settings, my studio drive had the problems but I had installed reaper on my general OS, what I have is in control panel / sounds and audio / audio tab / I have set midi device to USB device and ticked the use only default device
then in reaper preferences set the midi device "usb audio device" to disabled on in and out
control surface set to faderport and usb in and out

so far so good, about to mix a song see if it holds up
Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Superfly76

Interesting problems.

I received a faderport for christmas. It installed fine and worked with reaper right away. I have been playing with it everyday since getting it, haven't done any serious work on it yet but have done a bit of testing. Works great for me.
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Sonic Vampire

cool, you will love it, its an awsome device for mixing, can't believe how I got by without it, the mixes I have done since could not have been done with a mouse

it worked fine when I first started it but then I un-installed some unrelated programs and it crapped out, after a rebuild it worked again until I put the computer into standby with reaper and faderport working then I got the same midi issues. Lots of other people have had similar problems with it in reaper and in other programs too, at least I have this post to reference back to if I cant remember how to fix it next time

problems aside, mixing with a fader is REAL, a mouse is not

Last edited by Sonic Vampire; 12-29-2007 at 02:06 PM.