Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-16-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default And now - I give you ReaBurn!!

I can tell Justin is busy with other matters, and enthusiasm here for CD burning support in Reaper seems limited, so - I've done it myself.

It's been 15 years since I did any programming, and I've had to learn a new "language', but a couple of days' effort has produced quite a handy result, though I say so myself.

ReaBurn is an add-on utility for Reaper and offers the following functionality in generating a cue sheet:-
=============================
Converts Reaper markers containing the character "#" to CD tracks, and any text following the # (wherever it is in the marker label) to CD text. So the marker label can be a mixture of private info and CD text info if required, eg "Private #CD text".

Handles Wave and Wavpack files - the latter is handy if you want your CD master render to take up only half the normal space, and it can be burned with "Burrrn" (donationware).

Allows the rendered file to be used by the cue sheet to have a different name from the project file.

Provides artist name and CD title name input fields for CD text.

Warns if an existing .cue file may be overwritten.

Directly calls "Burrrn" or "EAC" to burn the CD at once, if installed.

Provides a means to write markers into wave files via CueListTool if required. Provided the means to play the cue sheet (wavpack or wave format) before burning with VUPlayer, which also allows you to create individual files from each CD track in other formats, eg mp3.

Works almost instantly, especially with Burrn.

===========================================
I may be able to add further functions (eg support for Reaper's regions) in due course.

I've uploaded the program to http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1150454905/ReaBurn.exe

and the Readme file is at
http://stashbox.org/uploads/1150455161/ReaBurn.txt

Update:- Current version and current link is as follows:-

http://www.inside-audio.nl/download_reaper_addons.html
(then look for ReaBurn 2.5)

I hope Justin forgives my cheek in using the name ReaBurn - if you want it renamed, I will - if anyone thinks it merits a proper home somewhere, go for it, but let me know so that I can ensure any revision goes to the same place.

Please let me have any comments or - hopefully not! - bug reports here.

Last edited by Art Evans; 04-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

hey, pretty cool of you to do this!!!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
maa

Great work ART - I'm dying to try it out. Can you make an ISO out put too for FTP transfer ? Thats what I desperatly need and Sam just wont do... LOL
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Holy crapinski!

Awesome Art!!!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Can't quite see something that would do what you want, maa, unless not freeware....
Old 06-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Oops, wrong thread for what I originally posted here.

Last edited by Art Evans; 06-16-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Newbie Brad

Thanks!!!!!!!
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
maa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Can't quite see something that would do what you want, maa, unless not freeware....
Probably easier than you think. The FTP transfere part is unimportant - just to make an ISO instead of a CD - thats all.

Cheers
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

In other words, you just need something which would create an iso from a cuesheet-plus-wave-file. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image seems to have some reading matter - I'll come back to it later.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
alex zonder

We were already impressed by your expertise in audio recording, Art, but who could have thought that your talents include programming!

Many thanks for the good work. I'm not a Big Burner anymore, but no doubt I'll soon try 'ReaBurn' out (BurnArt isn't bad either). I'm going to download it NOW.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
maa

Default Pause markers

Hi Art,
will you be supporting pause markers ? They are important for determining the exact length of the tracks and as a side effect they make the player count backwards till the new track starts.

We could then use a '*' sign for them....

Cheers

M
Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
fluffy

How cool is this?! You're the man, Art.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

Actually, maa, I do use 'pause markers' a lot myself and indeed, it would be easy to add them as you suggest.

I can't move quite as fast as Justin, but give me a day or so...

(Thanks for various kind comments above! At last I can give something back to the freeware community, if only something very small!)
Old 06-18-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Art Evans
Mortal

Hey, here's an unexpected bonus - EAC has a "split wave by Cue Sheet" option, which in the context of Reaper and ReaBurn enables you to divide up a rendered file into one file per marker. Each file is given the name of the text you put after the "#" in the marker label. So having done that, you can then put the tracks into whatever order you like in your normal CD burning program. Cool, huh?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Art Evans
Mortal

Having found this, I don't think there's much point in trying to use Reaper's regions for tracks - also, the cue sheet mechanism relies on cues identifying the start of tracks, but I don't think there's a way of specifying the end of a track in a cue sheet, apart from specifying the start of the next one.

So, if one had a project where parts of it were to become CD tracks and parts not, you would put in track markers with these labels (for example) -

#start of first track
#do not use from here to next track marker
#start of second track
#do not use from here to next track marker
#start of third track which goes to the end

EAC would split this into five wave files - you'd then just delete the ones labelled "do not use...", and drag the other three into Burrrn or EAC's burner or Nero, in the order you wanted.

So... I will do a version two with
Pause Index marker support
Fixed gap between tracks (put zero for no gap)

and that should cover most requirements to a reasonable degree.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
EnzymeX

Art,

Thanks again for taking the time to put this together!!
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #17
maa

Quote:
......I don't think there's much point in trying to use Reaper's regions for tracks.....
True

Quote:
So... I will do a version two with
Pause Index marker support
Fixed gap between tracks (put zero for no gap)

and that should cover most requirements to a reasonable degree.
Yes I think so too. Can you have the option to "leave CD open" (like sam) for Data in the second session?

Cheers

M
Old 06-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #18
Art Evans
Mortal

All I can do is generate a cue list, and (in the case of EAC and Burrrn) call the actual CD burning program with it. Leaving the CD open would be a function of the actual burning program you happen to use.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
maa

Yes of course - silly me....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
Art Evans
Mortal

Just noticed that Burrrn, which I highly recommend in this context, has a tickbox for leaving the CD open.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #21
Art Evans
Mortal

Heh, just found a bug myself in "ReaBurn" - if the marker text has a " in it, anything after that will not appear in the CD text. I think I can fix that in the next release. Meanwhile, use a single quote instead.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #22
Art Evans
Mortal

The moment you've all been waiting for - well, some of you - "ReaBurn 2" has hit the streets

and can be downloaded from
http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1151...eaBurn%202.exe

The "readme" file is at
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1151245848/ReaBurn.txt

As before, if anyone wants to host it somewhere better, be my guest, but please ensure any further versions replace old ones.

Features of this version:-

It provides for index countdown markers in projects as well as the original CD track markers. CD track marker names must include # and index countdown marker names must include *

It provides for a user-selectable number of seconds between every CD track, or zero for gapless. If index countdown markers are used instead, then this option is not offered.

Via command line calls to CueListTool (if you have it installed) it provides directly for writing markers into wave files as cues, which will then be recognised by Audition / Cool Edit / Sound Forge and others - also it provides for playback and editing of cue sheets.

It offers to burn the CD via Burrrn, EAC, or Nero. The selection of which of these to use has been integrated (with the CueListTool-related features) into a single dialog. If you select a program which ReaBurn cannot find on your system, it offers to take you to the program's home page.

If you have none of these programs installed, you can use the cue sheet that ReaBurn produces in any other cue-sheet aware programs.

A couple of small bugs have been fixed - you can now include " in CD text but EAC may not like it. Also, when you are asked if you want to over-write an existing cue sheet, "No" is now the default.

Complaints and confusions in this thread, please.

This utility is completely unofficial and Justin and Co are in no way responsible for it. If they were, you'd have had it a week or more ago!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #23
maa

Magic - testing shortly....

Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #24
hleen

Default Host download

Hi Art and all reapers,

I will host ReaBurn2 and ReaperKeys2 on
http://www.inside-audio.nl/joomla/download_reaburn.html

Be my guest!

NOTE!
Moved to: http://sites.google.com/site/insideaudioreaper/

Han Leentvaar | Inside .Audio

Last edited by hleen; 07-05-2010 at 12:28 PM.
hleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 AM   #25
Art Evans
Mortal

Hey, thanks for that - I only just saw your post here.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #26
Art Evans
Mortal

Justin would be proud of me - ReaBurn 2.5 is now available. I hadn't planned to improve on 2.0 but by sheer accident I discovered that my favourite player/ripper/converter app - "VUPlayer" (donationware) from www.vuplayer.com - has just added cue sheet reading to its feature set, so the ReaBurn 2.5 now optionally calls VUPlayer and opens the cue sheet, so you can play it or convert any or all of the tracks to other formats.

VUPlayer converts to Windows PCM, FLAC, Lame 3.93, Monkey's, Ogg, WMA. Its features include
• gapless playback •
• MP3/OGG internet file streaming •
• optional 32-bit mixing •
• 9-band graphic equalizer •
• volume, balance & pitch controls •
• full system tray functionality •
• timer playback/screen saver feature •
• configurable system-wide hotkeys •
• support for multiple visuals via a plug-in system •
• digital audio extraction •
• encoding to Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, APE, WMA & WV formats •
• Audioscrobbler support •
• remote freedb support •
• CD-Text support •

Along with the others I've 'integrated' into ReaBurn, VUPlayer is the kind of app that sits very nicely with Reaper - IMHO - very sensible, very functional.

ReaBurn 2.5 is at http://www.inside-audio.nl/joomla/download_reaburn.html

Last edited by Art Evans; 06-27-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
hleen

Default Version updated

The new version 2.5 is available at http://www.inside-audio.nl/joomla/download_reaburn.html
Version can be removed from stashbox Art!

NOTE!
Moved to: http://sites.google.com/site/insideaudioreaper/

Last edited by hleen; 07-05-2010 at 12:29 PM.
hleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #28
maa

Ok - my first test now:

My first supprise was that Reaburn immediatly wanted to open something. Hmm - ok, I gave it a .rrp but then it wanted the wave too. I wasn't expecting that either but till now I hadn't read the readme either. So I rendered to WV not thinking about weather Nero can read that or not but Reaburn didn't think I have Nero installed (I've had Nero since 4.? - now 7.2***) so after cancelling that I ended up with a cue file. Nero opens that automatically and complains about line #4 and closes again.
Is that because of the WV I used ?

I'll try with CDRwin next.

Cheers

M
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #29
maa

CDRwin is too old - doesn't even see my burner (LiteOn 52x)

I re-did the cue file with WAVE and now the "line 4" message is gone. Nero crashes though.
WinOnCD couldn't open it either for some reason.
Feurio works ! It recognized the cue file without a problem.
- so I managed to burn a first CD which turned out great.

More testing to follow.

Thanks

M
Old 06-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #30
Art Evans
Mortal

Funny things, cue sheets. I do recommend the Burrrn burner - works with wave and wv - ever so simple and ever so quick to load compared with (say) Nero.

The program expects to find Nero in Program Files/Ahead/Nero/nero.exe - maybe versions different from the one I have get installed elsewhere.

Hey, thanks for giving it a thorough check!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #31
Art Evans
Mortal

BTW, maa, have you tried "KProbe" to check your LiteOn drive's burns for errors? I run an error check with it on every CD I burn and have been able thereby to (a) come up with the best CD brand/burn speed combo, and (b) avoid any client ever complaining about CD playability. Freeware - well worth a download.

Using Burrrn I see no error rate differences compared to Nero - nor would I expect to, as the actual physics of the burn are handled by the drive rather than the software.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #32
maa

Even "%program files%" won't find Nero on my system - you need to ask the registry. All my programs are on plain D:
(Both Nero and Reaper check this way and are successfull in finding where to put the update)

Ok - I'll try Burrn now.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #33
Art Evans
Mortal

Asking the registry.... didn't think I could do that but I now see that it's possible... that might be in version 2.6!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #34
maa

Quote:
BTW, maa, have you tried "KProbe" to check your LiteOn drive's burns for errors?
No but I usually do a nul test before releasing a master. Clients get Nero images to burn themselves but they are a pain to make - I'd rather do it straight out of the program (Reaper or ReaBurn)

Quote:
Using Burrrn I see no error rate differences compared to Nero - nor would I expect to, as the actual physics of the burn are handled by the drive rather than the software.
Yes - I'm sure of that too. I'll let you know how Burrn works for me.

Thanks for your efforts here - along with Reaper this is all very exciting stuff.

M
Old 06-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #35
Art Evans
Mortal

I use the Nero "ImageDrive" virtual drive to create images, which seems pretty straightforward to me - just a matter of specifying that drive rather than a hardware drive.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #36
maa

Quote:
I use the Nero "ImageDrive"
Ah but can you "burn" to that from a Cue Sheet ? Its the inbetween steps I want rid of plus the fact that its purer that way. Unfortunately the repro plant wont use Nero images so its got to be ISO which brings us back to square one!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #37
Art Evans
Mortal

Here I did some of the testing of ReaBurn using Nero writing to the ImageDrive - much faster and cheaper than using real CDR's! The only problem was that CD text would sometimes not appear for reasons I could not puzzle out.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #38
maa

Nero doesn't like my ReaBurn cue sheet:

What to do ?

Burrn and BurnAtOnce don't like it either.
Here's an excesrpt from it:

Code:
REM Created by ReaBurn written by Art Evans
TITLE "Schnellson Hits"
PERFORMER "Schnelson Stompers"
FILE "TestCD.wav"
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Whisky"
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Winin Boy" 
    INDEX 00 04:29:20
    INDEX 01 04:32:26
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Some Body" 
    INDEX 00 08:32:69
    INDEX 01 08:35:33
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "At The Jazz" 
    INDEX 00 12:21:37
    INDEX 01 12:25:08
Can you see anything unusual?

Thanks

M
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #39
Art Evans
Mortal

Looks OK to me. The cue sheet and the audio file are in the same directory, yes? And the audio file is wave format (as stated in the cue sheet)? And the audio file was rendered from the project file which contains the markers (so that the audio file is at least the length of the last marker's time)? does Burrrn give any error message? The one from Nero suggests that the audio file is not actually in wave format.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #40
Art Evans
Mortal

This works fine here in Burrrn, for instance - note that it's a wavpack file which Burrrn supports:-

Code:
REM Created by ReaBurn written by Art Evans
TITLE "Rippon Lea 18 June 2006"
PERFORMER "Team of Pianists"
FILE "Entire concert.wv" wv
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Applause"
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Introduction" 
    INDEX 01 00:19:34
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Prokofiev : Quintet in G minor, Op.39 for oboe clarinet violin viola and double bass - Moderato" 
    INDEX 01 01:56:26
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Andante energico" 
    INDEX 01 07:18:06
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Allegro sostenuto, ma con brio" 
    INDEX 01 09:55:17
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Adagio pesante" 
    INDEX 01 12:29:12
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Allegro precipitato, ma non troppo presto" 
    INDEX 01 15:30:06
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Andantino" 
    INDEX 01 18:35:59
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Schubert : Die Forelle" 
    INDEX 00 23:34:63
    INDEX 01 23:40:59
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Schubert : Quintet in A mjor for piano, violin, viola violoncello and doublebass "The Trout" Op. post. 114 D667 - Allegro vivace" 
    INDEX 00 26:42:23
    INDEX 01 26:48:64
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Andante" 
    INDEX 01 36:10:40
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Scherzo - Trio - Scherzo" 
    INDEX 01 42:42:31
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Andantino (Theme and 6 variations)" 
    INDEX 01 47:16:03
  TRACK 14 AUDIO