Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Dr Bob
Human being with feelings

Default Does ReaMote use multiple cpus/cores?

Hi,

When running a ReaMote slave, will the ReaMote process on the slave use multiple processors/cores? I have only tested on a single cpu system.

Is there anyway a remote system can serve more than one user? I suspect Windows will prevent this, but perhaps running virtual machines (VMWare etc) might help?

How does one change the port used by ReaMote? Or is this hard coded?

TIA

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
SRR

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12072
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

ReaMote can use multiple cores, yes..

Currently ReaMote is designed to only be used by one master at a time, though if you wish to test it using multiple masters it may actually work.

The port used is hardcoded.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Dr Bob

Thanks Justin,

I'll give it a go. I am assuming that the network connections into ReaMote will be tagged in some way such that the VSTs on the slave will return the audio stream to the correct master?

Otherwise, mayhem!

Any reason why the port is hard coded and not configurable? Any chance of "fixing" this one day - you can always use your "chosen" port as the default. Remember, we are not all masters of our networks, and have to interact and ask nicely (very nicely) for ports to be opened up at times!

FYI: I will soon be testing ReaMote over a hundred miles or so network connection using a dedicated point to point 300 mbits/sec link. (Which I can up to 1 gbit/sec if I so wish!).

I will also see how ReaStream works over such a link as well.

e.g.
1. stream master out to remote reaper track.
2. stream an unused track on the remote back to an unused track on the master, record armed for talk to master.
3. stream an unused track on the master to an unused track on the remote, record armed for talkback to remote

So, now the master can play and the remote listen. The talkback channels allow people to talk and the master engineer can make adjustments as required by the listener on remote.

Of course, this is all in a "repear" context. Just for FUN. However, the talk channel can be phone anyway, but the beauty is that the remote listener gets to hear at full quality (although, of course, we are still dependent on the monitoring facilities of each site - but at least we now reduce our carbon footprint, by not needing to move people around!).

In the US you have very capable networks, NLR, StarLight and various Internet2 incarnations. Also, each State has interesting and useful network infrastructures which might be worth exploring. This novel use (sort of!), might appeal to those with the funds to allow some (free) experiments.

Also, remember that these "photonic" networks are spread across the globe and can be interconnected - we are seeing 4k digital cinema going across the links, to a few audio channels is going to be fine (a different story if you want to move all channels and fx returns between sites - believe me, do the sums!).

Oh oh I ramble on ...

Once again, thanks Justin, and I will post back the results of my experiments, and any requests for fixes and/or FR's (in the FR forum, of course!).

Cheers,

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote