Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
TONDOG64
Human being with feelings

Default Clean project directory not so dangerous if...

I've recently gotten used to deleting unused files with the "Clean project directory" function without any worry at all anymore. In the early days I was still unclear as to how Reaper handled files and X'ed off a few files that I shouldn't have. Like drum loops that I put into a project that were also in other projects. Not to mention the loops folder. The solution?

Always, always "Save as" for one. The first time around make sure you "Create subdirectory project". You obviously don't need to do this more than once. However; if you are adding, not recording, wave files of any kind into a project the key is to:

"Copy all media into project directory".

Do this every time you bring in a new file. This way you don't disrupt, move, alter, or change the source files which will be nice when you try to use them again in the future and they're still there! And you can butcher to your hearts content!

This is especially useful when slicing and dicing loops for use in the project at hand. The scraps tend to be named the same as the files staying in the project but reaper knows what you've stopped using, so when you X it off you know your chucking waste. This has really helped to keep the project folder free from confusing clutter. And since doing things this way I have not lost anything I didn't want to.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Sleep opposed

this might be a stupid question....but would selecting the "move"
option also move something like the samples used in battery for instance? from their place in a sample collection into the project folder?

Again, the more i think about this the less i think it would..
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
stodge

If you save-as a new project and select "copy all media", what happens when you use Reaper's media explorer to insert a loop? Does it automatically copy the media to the project directory or just leave as is?

Registered Reaper user!
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
TONDOG64

Quote:
this might be a stupid question....but would selecting the "move"
option also move something like the samples used in battery for instance? from their place in a sample collection into the project folder?

Again, the more i think about this the less i think it would..
It would actually remove it from the Battery folder and put it into the Reaper project folder. If you decide to delete it from your project, don't expect it to be in the Battery folder anymore. It won't be there as soon as you move it.

Quote:
If you save-as a new project and select "copy all media", what happens when you use Reaper's media explorer to insert a loop? Does it automatically copy the media to the project directory or just leave as is?
No. This is where it gets tricky. If you open a file into a project from the media explorer it won't actually be in the project folder unless you move or copy it there when you "save as". If you don't want to mess up your source file then you want to "copy", not move it when you "save as". If you're like me you like to edit, chop, destroy, glue, render the heck out of your files leaving nothing of the original intact. If you make a copy of the original you really don't have to worry at all. Very simple.

Imagine you start working on a project pasting loops and wave files from your media explorer. Everything is sounding good and you make a directory and move all the files your using into it. Tomorrow comes around and you start chopping and editing. Maybe it doesnt sound good anymore and you want to can a bunch of stuff thats piling up in the directory. If you don't know what your pitching and it can be hard to keep track if your on a roll and just editing freely. Anything not opened in a track will be sitting in the Clean project file directory waiting to be beamed out into deepspace, never to be seen again. In any case if you have actually moved a file into Reaper and throw it away then its gone from where you got it also. I know that most here aren't concerned with this, but if you're new to RPR this just might bite you in the ass if your not up to speed with this stuff like me much of the time.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Sleep opposed

thanks, glad i havent used battery in reaper yet!

Ive got some pretty nice samples and i would have hated to have lost them during my experimenting with reaper.
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote