Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default Append one project to another

This is something that a few people I can think of need all the time, and most people perhaps don't. I had to combine two projects the other day so I gave some thought to how to proceed.

There's two kinds of project append scenarios - either you want to append one project beneath another (so project one and project two start at the same time), or you want to append one project after the other (to the right of it on the timeline, so that project two starts at the end of project one).

Although there's no built in mechanism for this (as far as I am aware...) it's pretty easy to do this in Reaper, for either scenario.

To append project two beneath project one, open project two, and copy all of its tracks. [Track > Copy selected tracks to clipboard]. Then open project one, and use [Edit > paste] to insert the tracks into that project. Save it - perhaps under a new filename, let's say "project three", and exit Reaper. Open project two in a text editor such as Notepad. Scroll down to the markers section and copy the whole section. Close, open project three - the new combined project - in the text editor, and beneath its marker section, paste the markers from project two. Save and close. When you open project three, you will see the markers for both projects. This assumes that you do want both sets of markers and that you don't mind some duplication of marker numbers - I don't think it matters to Reaper.

For the second scenario, do much the same, but to begin with, open project one, and note its total length. Open project two, and create a highlight from the start to the point you just noted in project one. Then right click on the highlight and choose [Insert empty space in selection] - this will push all the items in the project to the right, together with all the markers and automation. Save it perhaps under a new filename - say "project two extended". Now copy all the tracks as before, open project one, and paste the tracks in - the items in the tracks should all start after the end of the items in the original tracks. Save as "project three", close, and use the technique described earlier to copy the markers from "project two extended" into "project three" - they should end up after all the markers from the original project one, and should correspond to the right items from project two now appended after the items from project one.

I've not tried to combine two different master tracks, but I suspect that a little study of the project file syntax would reveal what would need to be done.

Last edited by Art Evans; 04-26-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Mc UB
Human being with feelings

Now that is a neat tip!

For me it also sounds like you can then take for example a stunning baseline from one project, and insert it to another project. Yay!

Meaning I can get to remixing my own stuff, and re-using favorites! I've often just played away a bit in FL Studio for example, and came up with some massive stuff I then saved as a new project to work with later... and never got around to it. And then I'm working on something and think 'OMG, if only I could us the bassline from project x here'.

This solves that issue! I can now think of all projects also as track/samplebins I can use bits and pieces of...

Suddenly my head starts spinning.....

Thanx!!
Mc UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Tallisman

**edit: now in Bug Forum:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9404
That is a terrific tip, with one problem that I have encountered.
markers do not slide properly when using the insert space command.

This may be dependent on a few things, but this is what I have observed:

If the project settings accessed via [alt]+[enter] are set to either option other than Time (and perhaps time too - i haven't tested), then the markers are likely to move incorrectly. Tempo and Time-signature markers suffer more than regular markers. Here are the reproduction steps for anyone interested in confirming this bug:
**edit: even occurs when Settings set to timebase = Time

1. Create a new project; [alt]+[enter] set the Timebase for events to Beats or Beats, position, etc.. Set the tempo to 90bpm. Create 2 tracks and add an 11 measure empty item to one and new midi item to the other.

2. Add a marker [m] and a tempo/time-sig marker [shift]+[C] to measure 2 Change the tempo to 120bpm. you will see a Tempo marker added to the start of the project that reflects the original tempo of 90 bpm)

3. Insert the same 2 types of markers at measure 4 and measure 5

4. Make the tempo at measure 4 = 60 bmp and at measure 5 200 bmp tempos are not really important

5. Make a loop selection fro measure 1 to measure 11 and select insert empty space in selection.
- one would expect to see the following: the measure 1 marker is shifted to measure 11, 2 moves to 12, measures 4 & 5 Markers shift to measures 14 and 15. Right? Wrong Try it and see, rather than 11, 12, 14, and 15, the markers (if your tempos matched the ones listed above) shift to: 9, 10, 12, and 13!

6. press undo [crtl]+[z] time to do some more marker shifting tests

7. make a loop selection from 04.03.00 to 05.01.00 (it's length should read: 00.02.00 - exactly 1/2 measure)

8. select: insert empty space in selection and check to see that your results are NOT what we would expect them to be, ie Markers at 05.01.00, should be, but are not moved to 05.03.00 - rather they are moved to 06.01.00 (they are moved 1 full measure, even though we told Reapz to add only 1/2 measure of empty space.) The empty item and the midi item are split and moved properly and as expected. Now, without changing the loop selection, add the same 1/2 measure of empty space. The items again move 1/2 measure as expected. But the Markers do not move at all they remain at Measure 06.01.00 - the spot to which they were moved the first time (which was 1/2 measure too far); the spot that they should in fact be now... but there is something broken in this process... !!!

9. repeat step 6, twice (we are back at the beginning)

10. Split the first item at measure 2 & 5 and the second item at measure 4 & 5.
- Grab both items after measure 5 and slide their starts to measure 6.
- toggle the ripple edit to all tracks

11. select item 1 between measure 2 and 4 and slide it back to measure 9. Notice: the marker that was on Measure 2.01.00 slid to the proper spots: 9.01.00, But the markers at 4.01.00 --> 12.02.33, and 5.01.00 --> 15.03.66!! this is not the desired nor predicted behaviour. Bad reaper sit! Staaaaay!
- Also not, that the tempo/time-sig markers completely ignored the ripple edit all tracks.

this concludes my test. I have tried this on 3 boxes ranging from crappy to OK in terms of performance. the same results on each. Is it a bug? We need proper confirmation!

thanks y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
For the second scenario, do much the same, but to begin with, open project one, and note its total length. Open project two, and create a highlight from the start to the point you just noted in project one. Then right click on the highlight and choose [Insert empty space in selection] - this will push all the items in the project to the right, together with all the markers and automation. Save it perhaps under a new filename - say "project two extended". Now copy all the tracks as before, open project one, and paste the tracks in - the items in the tracks should all start after the end of the items in the original tracks. Save as "project three", close, and use the technique described earlier to copy the markers from "project two extended" into "project three" - they should end up after all the markers from the original project one, and should correspond to the right items from project two now appended after the items from project one.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 07-18-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

I only use time not bars, and I haven't seen a problem. But I can imagine behaviour being (incorrectly) different in the circumstances you describe (so fully!).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
I only use time not bars, and I haven't seen a problem. But I can imagine behaviour being (incorrectly) different in the circumstances you describe (so fully!).

the quirk/flaw/bug affects the project if time is selected too.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
nocturn

maybe this is before reapers multiproject support was implemented but i just open both projects, select the items i want, glue to bar length, copy, place the cursor in the other project where i want them to be imported, paste, the end.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote